This past weekend I went apple picking at one of the local farms here in Massachusetts. I was excited to learn that in addition to apples, the farm also had eggplants and tomatoes to pick. I picked a variety of tomatoes as well as some Chinese eggplants and decided to make something for dinner using both of these ingredients.
My husband actually was the creator of this recipe! He thought we should make a tomato eggplant sauce and serve it over zoodles for a low-carb nutritious meal. The sauce is really easy to make and extremely flavorful and hearty.
If you don’t have a spiralizer feel free to serve this over pasta or rice. We sauteed some shrimp to go on top of ours which was delicious. You definitely don’t need it though- you could eat this dish as is, and be extremely satisfied.
- 1 large eggplant (we used a Chinese eggplant)- chopped
- 4 medium sized tomatoes- chopped
- 2 cloves garlic- minced
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp fresh basil- chopped
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 small zucchinis - spiralized
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil and garlic.
- Saute garlic for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add chopped eggplant and saute for 2-3 minutes or until slightly tender.
- Add tomatoes, italian seasoning, sea salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a light boil. Lower heat, cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- After the 20 minutes, add zoodles and basil and cook for 5 minutes to heat zoodles.
- Top with cheese and enjoy!