My husband, Dan and I recently traveled to the Washington DC area, and we discovered an AMAZING Banh Mi restaurant. I ordered the kitchen sink bowl with tofu, peanut sauce, and a million vegetables. It was seriously one of the best things I have ever eaten, and I immediately knew I had to recreate my own version at home. These bowls are perfect for the hot summer months when you’re not in the mood to turn on your oven and heat up the whole house.
What you will soon find out about me is my recipes are always very versatile, and this one is no exception. You can use whatever vegetables you want and you can even change up the protein. I personally love this delicious marinated tofu in these bowls, but if you’re not a tofu person use whatever you’d like.
This recipe makes about 2 bowls, but you will probably have extra veggies. I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/2 bell pepper- sliced
- 1 cup carrots- sliced into planks
- 1/2 cup cucumber- sliced into planks
- 1/2 cup jicama- sliced into planks
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 avocado- sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chives- finely chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts- chopped
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch (for dusting)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. mirin
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp. sesame oil (use 1 tbsp in the marinade and reserve 1/2 tbsp to cook tofu in)
- 1 tbsp- grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove- minced
- 1 tsp- sriracha
- 1/3 cup all-natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
- 1.5 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1/2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- To remove excess water from tofu, wrap the block in paper towels and put a plate or bowl on top of it to weigh it down. Allow to drain for 10 minutes.
- While tofu is draining, make the tofu marinade by combining all ingredients except for the cornstarch in a bowl and whisking together.
- When tofu is finished draining chop into bite size chunks and sprinkle with cornstarch evenly.
- Place tofu chunks in the sauce and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- While tofu is marinating prepare the peanut sauce by whisking all ingredients together until smooth.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add 1/2 tbsp. sesame oil.
- Add tofu and cook for 5 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- To prepare bowls, add veggies, tofu, sauce and top with peanuts and herbs.