This week marks my official first week as a grad student! Just in case you didn’t read the “about me” section of my blog, I have recently made a huge career change. I decided to leave my job in the fashion industry to pursue a master’s degree in nutrition through Maryland University of Integrative Health.
I am extremely excited (and nervous) about this new journey, and I cannot wait to share my learnings with all of you. Because I am doing this program online, I thought I would share my 5 pointers with you on how to successfully work (or study) from home:
- Create an area that motivates and inspires you. I am surrounded by pictures in my work space as well as a white board to organize my week, fun folders to file my papers and plenty of notebooks to stay on top of assignments.
- Turn off social distractions. Close out of facebook and instagram, put your phone on silent and try to focus on nothing but your work.
- Take breaks. It is impossible to sit at your computer for 8 hours straight- so schedule yourself breaks every hour or two so you can turn your mind off and come back to the task feeling refreshed.
- Create a weekly schedule at the beginning of each week. It’s helpful to plan out what you need to do for a given week so you can maximize your time each day. This also helps with knowing when you are “done” for the day and have completed everything you need to do.
- Keep a good routine. Try to have a similar schedule every day. Maybe you workout first thing in the morning then you do a few hours of work, then take a lunch break. Having a good routine will help you to feel in control.