I absolutely love this tempeh stir fry and I make it all the time for lunches for the week. You can serve it over quinoa or brown rice, or simply enjoy it on its own. Totally up to you!
I actually hadn’t tried tempeh until about a year ago and now I am hooked. I’ve always liked tofu, but tempeh is actually more nutritious, and I think it tastes better and has more flavor. Tempeh is a fermented food which means it contains probiotics. Probiotics are incredibly good for the digestive system in helping the body control harmful bacteria in the stomach. Probiotics also help to boost the immune system and ward off disease.
This stir fry uses liquid aminos as a replacement for soy sauce. Liquid Aminos is made of water and soybeans before they are genetically modified. If you look at the ingredients in soy sauce you might be surprised to see that it contains preservatives and ingredients you cannot pronounce. Liquid aminos is clean and natural and tastes very similar to soy sauce. If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend that you do!
You can use whatever veggies you like in this recipe. I chose a bell pepper, zucchini and eggplant because I found them at the supermarket and they happen to be local produce from farms not far from my house. When shopping for produce try to have an open mind and gravitate toward anything grown locally. Fruits and vegetables have more nutritional value when they don’t have to travel as far to the end user!
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 package tempeh- crumbled
- 1 large eggplant or 2 medium eggplants- chopped
- 1 zucchini- chopped
- 1 bell pepper-chopped
- 2 tbsp. liquid aminos
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- Heat 1 tbsp. coconut oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add tempeh, 1 tsp. turmeric and 1 tsp. liquid aminos. Cook, stirring frequently until tempeh is slightly browned (2-3 minutes).
- Remove tempeh and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat additional tbsp of coconut oil and add veggies. Add additional tsp. of turmeric and liquid aminos. Stir fry for 5-7 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Combine veggies with tempeh and enjoy!