Oh my goodness, these are my most favorite meatless meatballs ever! They are made with lots of veggies and two different kinds of cheese. They are so flavorful and very healthy as well. My favorite part is the texture- they’re crispy and crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside.
My mom created this recipe a few years ago, and since then I have made these “meat” balls a dozen times. This recipe makes 30 “meat’ balls so it will feed you for days. They also freeze very well if you want to save them.
Dan and I like to eat ours with marinara sauce over whole wheat pasta, but they’re perfectly delicious on their own. These balls are the perfect meatless Monday (or any day) meal, and I hope you enjoy them as much as my family and I do. 🙂
- 1 eggplant- finely chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms- finely chopped (I used baby portobellos )
- 1 yellow onion- finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper- finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic- diced
- 2 tbsp. parsley- finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup grated parmeasan or pecorino romano
- 1 cup shredded mozzerella cheese (I used part-skim)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Finely chop the eggplant and sprinkle liberally with salt. (this will draw out the moisture)
- Chop mushrooms, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and parsley
- Use a paper towel to drain excess moisture from the eggplant
- Add mushrooms, eggplant, onion, pepper, and garlic into a large saute pan coated in olive oil. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender
- Turn off heat and add parsley. Mix to blend.
- Place mixture in mixing bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- When mixture has cooled slightly, stir in cheeses, eggs, and whole wheat bread crumbs
- Roll the mixture into good size meatballs (Mine made 30)
- Line 2 baking sheets with heavy duty foil and spray liberally with nonstick cooking spray
- Place meatballs on prepared baking sheet and cook for 25-30 minutes flipping halfway.
- Remove from oven and serve!